NCSU Libraries

Outbuilding, Stonewall Jackson Training School, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Stonewall Jackson Training School (Concord, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Outbuilding, Stonewall Jackson Training School, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Colonial revival (Architecture)
Outbuildings
School buildings
Original Format:
Color slides
Extent:
2 x 2 in.
Item identifier:
bh1059pnc006
Created Date:
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Location:
Concord (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Preservation North Carolina
Collection:
Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
RightsStatements.org:
In Copyright
For more information:
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building: Jackson, "Stonewall" Thomas Jonathan Training School (Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina)

Architect:
more info on Asbury, Louis H. (Louis Humbert), 1877-1975 
Built:
Street:
1484 Old Charlotte Road, SR 1157 N of NC 49
Community:
Concord
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
28027
Provenance note:
Stonewall Jackson Training School represents the largest project undertaken by architect Louis Asbury (of Charlotte). Asbury, originally hired to design the school's first cottages, worked with the school for over 20 years.
Architectural note:
The campus, consisting of more than 30 school and farm structures, primarily represent the red-brick Colonial Revival style.
Historical note:
The school was founded in 1907 as the first juvenile corrections facility in North Carolina and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Concord (N.C.)
Subjects:
Architecture, Colonial
Building, Brick
Colonial revival (Architecture)
Correctional institutions
Cottages
Farm buildings
Historic sites
Juvenile corrections
Military education
Military training camps
National Register of Historic Places
School buildings
Welfare buildings
Latitude, Longitude:
35.360914, -80.596366