NCSU Libraries

Front view, North Carolina School for the Deaf, Morganton, Burke County, North Carolina

North Carolina School for the Deaf (Morganton, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Front view, North Carolina School for the Deaf, Morganton, Burke County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Architecture, Queen Anne
School buildings
Bartizans
Spires
Original Format:
Color slides; 2 x 2 in.
Item identifier:
bh1057pnc002
Architect:
Created Date:
to
Created Date:
Description:
Provenance: In 1891 the state legislature authorized a school for the deaf, and the city of Morganton donated lands and funds for its construction there. The school was designed by Adolphus Gustavus Bauer (architect). | Architectural Note: The school is an E-shaped institutional plan with Queen Anne composition, including bartizans, spires, and double porches. | Historical Note: Part of the school burnt down in 1898, and the structure is Bauer's last surviving major work in North Carolina. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Location:
Morganton (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Preservation North Carolina
Collection:
Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

Architect:
Built:
Street:
US 64 at Fleming Drive
Community:
Morganton
State:
NC
Provenance note:
In 1891 the state legislature authorized a school for the deaf, and the city of Morganton donated lands and funds for its construction there. The school was designed by Adolphus Gustavus Bauer (architect).
Architectural note:
The school is an E-shaped institutional plan with Queen Anne composition, including bartizans, spires, and double porches.
Historical note:
Part of the school burnt down in 1898, and the structure is Bauer's last surviving major work in North Carolina. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Morganton (N.C.)
Subjects:
School buildings
Deafness
Historic buildings -- Fires and fire prevention
Health facilities
Architecture, Queen Anne
Porches
Bartizans
Deaf -- Education
Deaf
Double porches
National Register of Historic Places
Spires
Historic buildings
Fire damage
Lost architecture

✓ Give us feedback