- Partial view, Burke County Courthouse, Morganton, Burke County, North Carolina
Towers (Building divisions)
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Milburn, Frank P. (Frank Pierce), 1868-1926 more info on Milburn, Frank P. (Frank Pierce), 1868-1926
- Binnie, James more info on Binnie, James, builder
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- Architect Frank P. Milburn remodelled the courthouse in 1903, which gave it a Neoclassical appearance. The structure includes Doric porticos and a Baroque cupola.
- Historical note:
- The North Carolina Supreme Court met at the courthouse from 1847 until 1861. In 1976 the county moved to a new facility and the old courthouse was restored as a heritage museum and cultural center. The courthouse is the oldest in Western North Carolina and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
Buildings -- Remodeling for other use
Doric (Architectural style)
National Register of Historic Places
North Carolina -- History
Revival, Classical (European revival style)