- View, Burke County Courthouse, Morganton, Burke County, North Carolina
Towers (Building divisions)
- Original Format:
- Color slides
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Milburn, Frank P. (Frank Pierce), 1868-1926 more info on Milburn, Frank P. (Frank Pierce), 1868-1926
- Binnie, James more info on Binnie, James, builder
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- Architect Frank P. Milburn remodelled the courthouse in 1903, which gave it a Neoclassical appearance. The structure includes Doric porticos and a Baroque cupola.
- Historical note:
- The North Carolina Supreme Court met at the courthouse from 1847 until 1861. In 1976 the county moved to a new facility and the old courthouse was restored as a heritage museum and cultural center. The courthouse is the oldest in Western North Carolina and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places
Revival, Classical (European revival style)
Doric (Architectural style)
Architecture -- Conservation and restoration
Buildings -- Remodeling for other use
North Carolina -- History