- Street view, Biltmore Village, Asheville, Buncombe County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Biltmore (Asheville, N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Smith, Richard Sharp, 1852-1924 more info on Smith, Richard Sharp, 1852-1924
- Westall, J. M. (James M.), 1861-1943 more info on Westall, J. M. (James M.), 1861-1943
- Hunt, Richard Morris, 1828-1895 more info on Hunt, Richard Morris, 1828-1895
- Hunt, Richard Howland more info on Hunt, Richard Howland
- Smith and Carrier more info on Smith and Carrier
- Landscape architect:
- Olmstead, Frederick Law, Sr. more info on Olmstead, Frederick Law, Sr.
- Lodge Street
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The village previously existed as Best, or Asheville Junction, until George Vanderbilt bought the town and created a planned village for workers at his estate.
- Architectural note:
- Many of the structures in the village have Tudoresque elements or follow Colonial Revival architectural styles.
- Historical note:
- The village included residential structures, All Souls Cathedral, the railroad depot, and estate offices, as well as a post office, hospital, and shops. The village was sold soon after Vanderbilt's death in 1914.
National Register of Historic Places
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.532827, -82.528025