Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- Interior view, First Baptist Church, Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina
Greek revival (Architecture)
Stained glass (Visual works)
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 5 x 7 in.
- Item identifier:
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Percival, William more info on Percival, William
- Coats, Thomas H. more info on Coats, Thomas H.
- Salisbury St. at Edenton St.
- Capitol Area Historic District
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Baptist congregation, first owner
- Historical note:
- The Raleigh Baptist Church of Raleigh, N.C., which became the first Baptist church in 1883, was organized in 1812. William Percival, a retired British army officer with architectural offices in Richmond, Virginia and Raleigh, designed the original building and was probably built by the construction firm of Briggs and Dodd. The church was William Percival's first commission in North Carolina. The building lies within the boundaries of the Capitol Area Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Architectural note:
- Completed in 1859, the original construction was brick masonry with a Greek Cross plan and a pinnacle spire at the east end. The nave and transepts are spanned with a massive Upjohn-type cross vault system supported on corbeled brackets. Sometime between 1902 and 1910 the church was remodeled, through to what extent is unclear. In 126 and extension of rooms was added to the west end of the building. Major renovations were made during the period 1954 to 1959 including resurfacing the exterior with stucco, renovating the lighting system and replacing the carpeting and pews. Today the original church is in essence encased within the subsequent renovation and repairs excepting the vaulting of the ceiling.