NCSU Libraries

Site plan, J. V. Welch House, Holleman's Crossroads, Wake County, North Carolina

Holleman's Crossroads (Holly Springs, N.C.)
J. V. Welch House (Holly Springs, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Site plan, J. V. Welch House, Holleman's Crossroads, Wake County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Farmhouses
Site plans
Original Format:
Measured drawings; scale: 1 in. = 60 ft.; 483mm x 610mm
Item identifier:
bh030317403
Delineator:
Delineator:
Delineator:
Delineator:
Created Date:
Description:
17 of 57 | Drawing Note: The only known information about the drawings' creator is the name Smith.
Genre:
Architectural drawings
Location:
Wake County (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Collection:
Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

Built:
Street:
Bartley Holleman Road (Old Avent Ferry Road)
Community:
Holly Springs
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
27562
Historical note:
Holleman's Crossroads was originally called Enno Community, and is typical of the many thrifty farm communities formed in a prospering Wake County around 1840. Its soil was well-suited to cotton farming, which became the base of its economy. During the Civil War, the land served as a major Union camp. By the early twentieth century the community contained several stores, including S. B. Holleman's store and cotton gin, a post office, a public school with two teachers, and two active churches, including Bethel Christian Church. The cotton gin and a sawmill operated within the community, and a stone dam provided power. After the mid-twentieth century, when the community's population declined, most buildings in the area disappeared leaving only the Samuel Bartley Holleman House and Collins Grove Baptist Church. Electricity was not brought to Holleman's Crossroads until the 1945.
General note:
Drawing Note: The only known information about the drawings' creator is the name Smith.
Location:
Holly Springs (Wake County, N.C.)
Wake County (N.C.)
Subjects:
Neighborhoods
Buildings
Communities
Stores & shops
United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
Military camps
Historic sites
Public schools
Church buildings
Post offices
Latitude, Longitude:
35.621341, -78.906954

Building:

Built:
Street:
Bartley Holleman Road (Old Avent Ferry Road)
Community:
Holly Springs
State:
N.C.
Zip:
27562
Historical note:
The farmhouse was part of the Holleman's Crossroads community. Originally part of the Judd Estate, this group of buildings was begun in the early 1800's. Most of the outbuildings were built by the Welch family in the 1920's and consequently were not drawn. The oldest building (in the shaded circle) was the first meeting place of Collins Grove Baptist Church, the oldest currently active church in the area.
Location:
Wake County (N.C.)
Subjects:
Houses
Housing, Single family
Communities
Farmhouses
Outbuildings
Meeting houses (Religious buildings)
Latitude, Longitude:
35.621341, -78.906954

✓ Give us feedback