NCSU Libraries

East elevation, Captain Lewis Meredith House, Murfreesboro, North Carolina

Lewis Meredith House (Murfreesboro, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
East elevation, Captain Lewis Meredith House, Murfreesboro, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Houses
Elevations (Building divisions)
Original Format:
Measured drawings; scale: 1/4 in. = 1 ft.; 483mm x 610mm
Item identifier:
bh028907203
Delineator:
Created Date:
Created Date:
Description:
7 of 15 | Description Note: Information regarding this house comes from the delineator's research notes. | Provenance: Jonathan Roberts (merchant) and Elizabeth Roberts, first owner; Captain Lewis Meredith (planter) and Elizabeth Roberts Meredith, second owner; John W. Southall, third owner; Dr. R. H. Worthington (patent medicine peddler), fourth owner | Architectural Note: The home gained a back porch and trim around 1880. The building featured several hidden staircases and a tunnel that led from the home's basement to the creek landing nearby. At one time the property included a carriage house, a spring house, a smokehouse, a barn, and servants' quarters, but at the time of the architectural drawings, these outbuildings had been destroyed.
Genre:
Architectural drawings
Location:
Murfreesboro (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Collection:
Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

Community:
Murfreesboro
State:
North Carolina
Provenance note:
Jonathan Roberts (merchant) and Elizabeth Roberts, first owner; Captain Lewis Meredith (planter) and Elizabeth Roberts Meredith, second owner; John W. Southall, third owner; Dr. R. H. Worthington (patent medicine peddler), fourth owner
Architectural note:
The home gained a back porch and trim around 1880. The building featured several hidden staircases and a tunnel that led from the home's basement to the creek landing nearby. At one time the property included a carriage house, a spring house, a smokehouse, a barn, and servants' quarters, but at the time of the architectural drawings, these outbuildings had been destroyed.
Location:
Murfreesboro (N.C.)
Subjects:
Houses
Housing, Single family
Porches
Trimming (Material)
Staircases
Carriage houses
Tunnels
Servants' quarters
Outbuildings
Lost architecture
Hiding places
Basements
Springhouses
Smokehouses
Barns
Demolished buildings

✓ Give us feedback