NCSU Libraries

South elevation, Roanoke Navigation Canal Power Houses, Weldon, North Carolina

Roanoke Navigation Canal Power Houses (Roanoke Rapids, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
South elevation, Roanoke Navigation Canal Power Houses, Weldon, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Powerhouses
Elevations (Building divisions)
Original Format:
Measured drawings; scale: 3/16 in. = 1 ft.; 483mm x 610mm
Item identifier:
bh028719209
Delineator:
Delineator:
Created Date:
Created Date:
Description:
19 of 21 | Provenance: Roanoke Navigation and Water Power Company, first owner | Historical Note: The Power Houses are associated with the Roanoke Navigation Canal system, which was originally constructed to connect the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean, though this was never fulfilled. The canal and aqueduct were built from 1819 to 1823 by Hamilton Fulton. Railroad competition thwarted the use of the canal and it was not employed again until the 1890s when it was reconstructed to generate power for local factories. The powerhouses were built in order to use the canal as an energy source. The canal associated with the powerhouses is considered one of the best examples of early nineteenth century canal construction in the nation and exists as built except for minor repairs. The canal is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Genre:
Architectural drawings
Location:
Weldon (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Collection:
Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building:

Built:
Community:
Roanoke Rapids
State:
North Carolina
Provenance note:
Roanoke Navigation and Water Power Company, first owner
Historical note:
The Power Houses are associated with the Roanoke Navigation Canal system, which was originally constructed to connect the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean, though this was never fulfilled. The canal and aqueduct were built from 1819 to 1823 by Hamilton Fulton. Railroad competition thwarted the use of the canal and it was not employed again until the 1890s when it was reconstructed to generate power for local factories. The powerhouses were built in order to use the canal as an energy source. The canal associated with the powerhouses is considered one of the best examples of early nineteenth century canal construction in the nation and exists as built except for minor repairs. The canal is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Halifax (N.C.)
Subjects:
Water-power
Canals
Industrial buildings
Historic buildings
Historic sites
National Register of Historic Places
Powerhouses

✓ Give us feedback