- South elevation, Weldon Corn Mill, Weldon, North Carolina
Elevations (Building divisions)
Mills and mill-work
- Original Format:
- scale: 3/16 in. = 1 ft.; 483mm x 610mm
- Item identifier:
- Freeman, Ben C. more info on Freeman, Ben C.
- Watkins, Harry C. more info on Watkins, Harry C.
- Created Date:
- 14 of 21
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- Both the mill and its powerhouse are associated with the Roanoke Navigation Canal system, which was originally constructed to connect the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean, though this was never fulfilled. Railroad competition thwarted the use of the canal, and it was not employed again until the 1890s when it was reconstructed to generate power for the Weldon Corn Mill and other factories. The power house was constructed in 1901. The mill was originally part of a complex including a grain elevator, a cottonseed oil mill, and a cotton gin. In 1933, the mill was bought by the community of Weldon and converted into a community recreation center.
Buildings -- Remodeling for other use
Corn -- Milling
Cotton gins and ginning
Mills and mill-work
National Register of Historic Places