Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- View, Faucette House (Chatwood), Orange County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Orange County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
For more information:
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- 1900 Faucette Mill Road
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- "Chatwood" was a coach house, or inn, for people using the road. Meals and various beverages were served and rooms were available. A large barn stood across the road for stabling horses. Another inn originally was across the ford. Both inns were used when the Eno was flooding and the ford was impassible. The road from Chatwood to Hillsboro is a segment of the old highway from Oxford to Salisbury. The road is sometimes called the "Faucette Mill Road" or the "Road to Martin Palmers" by the natives. The building is currently located on the grounds of the Chatwood Gardens, and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Faucette Mill and House.
- Provenance note:
- It is believed that "Chatwood" was built by Robert Faucette in 1790, for either David and Elizabeth Faucette, the presumed first owners, or their son Joseph and his wife Polly Tinnen. Deeds trace the Faucette ownership of the land as far back as 1768, and the property remained in the family until 1896. A gristmill and miller's house were also built on the land owned by the Faucettes.
- Architectural note:
- The structure was built in the early to mid nineteenth century and includes Greek Revival details. Chatwood has been restored, modernized and had a new wing added to the south-west corner. However, the original building has had few alterations. All the south section's parts that had to be replaced are accurate copies of the original parts. Most of the moldings, hardware, and windows are also original.
Housing, Single family
National Register of Historic Places
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 36.102138, -79.141885