Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Altar, St. Ambrose Episcopal Church, Raleigh, North Carolina
Architecture, Domestic -- Carpenter gothic
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 7 x 10 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
Building: Saint Ambrose Episcopal Church, South Wilmington Street (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- S. Wilmington St.
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- African American Episcopal congregation, first owner.
- Historical note:
- The delineator indicates that St. Ambrose was formed from St. Augustine's Church, which was organized in 1868 by Reverand J. Brinton Smith. The name change occurred in 1896. The church was one of the first African American churches in Raleigh, and as it was organized from an integrated church it provides an example of the move from integration to segregation during Reconstruction. The church was slated for demolition in 1963.
- General note:
- Description Note: All information regarding the church comes from the delineator's research notes.