Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- View with cemetery, St. David's Episcopal Church, Washington County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Washington County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Charles Pettigrew (Episcopal priest and planter), first owner.
- Historical note:
- Saint David's was the first church built in and around the area of Creswell. The Reverend Charles Pettigrew built a chapel on his own land for the people in his are to worship. Originally a private chapel, the building was expanded by the congregation in 1857 and became a parish church. While ministering at Saint David's Charles Pettigrew was elected first bishop of the Diocese of North Carolina. Union and Confederate soldiers camped on the church grounds and used the church for shelter and storage during the Civil War.
- Architectural note:
- The building was rebuilt by the congregation in 1857. The new church was cruciform in shape.