- View, Rugby Grange, Henderson County, North Carolina
Italianate (North American architecture styles)
- Original Format:
- Black-and-white print (photograph); 5 x 7 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Henderson County (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- William "Tiger Bill" Heyward, first owner; Gustaf Westfeldt (retired Swede businessman), second owner
- Architectural note:
- Initial building took place approximately between 1954 to 1861. The house was unfinished when the property was acquired by Westfeldt in 1868. The home was finished sometime between 1868 and the 1870s. Westfeldt added outbuildings over the years for his large farm. Main structure is of local limestone, has galleries on all sides, and is wainscoted throughout.
- Historical note:
- The home is one of several mid-nineteenth century stone buildings in the picturesque mode in this area. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Housing, Single family
National Register of Historic Places
Galleries (Upper level spaces)