- East elevation, Ashland, Vance County, North Carolina
Elevations (Building divisions)
- Original Format:
- scale: undetermined; 483mm x 610mm
- Item identifier:
- Brown, Eugene Wilson more info on Brown, Eugene Wilson
- Created Date:
- 5 of 8
Vance County (N.C.)
Ashland Plantation (Henderson, N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Provenance note:
- Richard Henderson (judge and political leader), first owner; Archibald Anderson, second owner
- Architectural note:
- In 1820, there was great remodeling and enlarging of the house. The original front porch was removed, and the large south wing was added, making the house face the east instead of the south. The new wing provided a main hall and a large ball room which boasted a fine pendant chandelier, now lost. The Greek Revival trim added to both wings at this time presented a uniform look. All evidence of slave quarters and outbuildings has been destroyed with the exception of the old smoke house, standing in good repair.
- Historical note:
- The oldest home in Vance County. The home was constructed in the late eighteenth century and is one of Vance County's most famous plantation houses. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Greek revival (Architecture)
Housing, Single family
National Register of Historic Places