Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- View, Korner's Folly, Kernersville, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Milch, Cesar more info on Milch, Cesar
- Architect-interior decorator:
- Korner, Jule more info on Korner, Jule, interior decorator
- Highway 150
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- The house was built by Jule Gilmer Korner, first owner, an interior decorator, painter, and traveler, and was enlarged to its present size upon his marriage to Polly Masten. Also owned by their daughter, Mrs. D. L. Donnel.
- Architectural note:
- The three story, twenty-two room, brick residence was built in 1880. It exhibits a tall gabled roof with Italianate corbeling and has multiple stories of rooms with varying heights. The sharp-pitched roof, covered with shingles is said to have been cut from a single tree. The house contains numerous decorative features, such as carved human and animal figures and ceiling frescoes by German artist Cesar Milch, using themes from some of Rubens's paintings. There are twenty fireplaces in the home, and each is different. The house between the intersecting gables housed one of the first little theaters in America. The house was enlarged to its present form in 1886.
- Historical note:
- The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places