Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- South elevation and details, St. James Episcopal Church, Wilmington, North Carolina
Gothic revival (Architecture)
- Original Format:
- scale: 1/8 in. = 1 ft., half full scale, full scale; 458mm x 610mm
- Item identifier:
- Gray, Robert J., Jr. more info on Gray, Robert J., Jr.
- Peterson, Jesse J., Jr. more info on Peterson, Jesse J., Jr.
- Created Date:
- 4 of 4
Elevations (architectural drawings)
- Digital Project:
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Norris, John S., 1804-1876 more info on Norris, John S., 1804-1876
- Wood Brothers more info on Wood Brothers
- Walter, Thomas Ustick, 1804-1887 more info on Walter, Thomas Ustick, 1804-1887
- Dahl, C. H. more info on Dahl, C. H.
- Dudley, Henry C. more info on Dudley, Henry C.
- Upjohn, Hobart Brown, 1876-1949 more info on Upjohn, Hobart Brown, 1876-1949
- Wood, John C. more info on Wood, John C., builder
- Wilmington Historic District
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Episcopalian congregation established in 1729, first owner.
- Architectural note:
- Henry Dudley designed the truss roof of 1871 and the chancel and transept of 1885. Hobart Upjohn added the great hall in 1923.
- Historical note:
- The church is the state's first academic use of the Gothic Revival, which helped promote the style in the state. The building is the oldest church in Wilmington that is still in continual use. The church lies within the boundaries of the Wilmington Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The vaults date to the eighteenth century.
National Register of Historic Places