North elevation and details, St. James Episcopal Church, Wilmington, North Carolina

St. James Episcopal Church (Wilmington, N.C.)

Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.

Item information

Title:
North elevation and details, St. James Episcopal Church, Wilmington, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Church buildings
Gothic revival (Architecture)
Original Format:
Measured drawing
Extent:
scale: 1/8 in. = 1 ft., full scale; 458mm x 610mm
Item identifier:
bh009203702
Delineator:
Gray, Robert J., Jr. more info on Gray, Robert J., Jr. 
Delineator:
Peterson, Jesse J., Jr. more info on Peterson, Jesse J., Jr. 
Created Date:
Description:
3 of 4
Genre:
Architectural drawings
Detail drawings
Elevations (architectural drawings)
Location:
Wilmington (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
Collection:
Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building: Saint James Episcopal Church (Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina)

Provenance note:
Episcopalian congregation established in 1729, first owner.
Architectural note:
Henry Dudley designed the truss roof of 1871 and the chancel and transept of 1885. Hobart Upjohn added the great hall in 1923.
Historical note:
The church is the state's first academic use of the Gothic Revival, which helped promote the style in the state. The building is the oldest church in Wilmington that is still in continual use. The church lies within the boundaries of the Wilmington Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The vaults date to the eighteenth century.
Location:
Wilmington (N.C.)
Subjects:
Church buildings
Historic buildings
National Register of Historic Places