Charles "Chick" Doak led his "Doakmen" to the South Atlantic championship only twice, in 1924 and 1928. But his philosophy that "the best defense is a hell of an offense" made for exciting games and avid fans. A former minor league player and coach at Guilford, Carolina, and Trinity (Duke), Doak remained on NC State’s physical education faculty through 1955. The baseball field on the eastern side of Reynolds Coliseum (currently the parking deck) was named in his honor, and the name Doak Field was reassigned to the current site in 1966. Both of Doak’s sons, Charles W. and Robert R., played ball for NC State.