NCSU Libraries

Cottage - Manor Park for E.W. Grove - “Chipmunk Cottage”--Front and Side

Chipmunk Cottage, Grove Park (Asheville, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Cottage - Manor Park for E.W. Grove - “Chipmunk Cottage”--Front and Side
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Elevations (Building divisions)
Cottages
Original Format:
Tracings
Extent:
15 1/2 x 35 _
Item identifier:
aam_RS0318_0006
Architect:
Smith and Carrier more info on Smith and Carrier 
Created Date:
Created Date:
Genre:
Architectural drawings
Design and construction documents
Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism

Source information

Repository:
Asheville Art Museum
Collection:
Richard Sharp Smith Collection (aam_RS) held by Asheville Art Museum
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the Asheville Art Museum.
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building: Chipmunk Cottage, E. W. Grove Manor Park (Asheville, Buncombe County, North Carolina)

Architect:
more info on Smith and Carrier 
Street:
290 Macon Ave.
Community:
Asheville
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
28804
Provenance note:
Dr. Grove became a druggist and established the Paris Medicine Company in Paris, Tennessee in 1886. To establish a national market for his products the company was moved to St. Louis Missouri in 1889. The Paris Medicine company marketed Febriline, Grove's Tasteless Chill Tonic, cold tablets and other products. The Tasteless Quinine Company was soon established in Asheville, North Carolina. Dr. Grove had many other interests in Asheville as well, including the famous Grove Park Inn. Dr. E.W.
Historical note:
Grove's Grove Park Inn and Resort complex was built in 1913 with granite stones mined from Sunset Mountain. The resort, overlooking the city of Asheville, N.C., provided majestic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and was a huge attraction for both local residents and guests. In addition to the main lodge, a golf course, and various outbuildings, the Grove Park complex included many individual cottages and residences which today make up Grove Park Historic District (Roughly bounded by Evelyn Place, Macon Avenue, Howland Road, Woodland Road, Canterbury Lane, Charlotte Street, and Murdock Avenue) . Perhaps the most famous owner of one of the district's cottages was William Jennings Bryan, who was the keynote speaker at Grove Park's Grand Opening. Projects 318 - 329 are all part of the Grove Park complex.
Location:
Asheville (N.C.)
Subjects:
Houses
Housing, Single family
Cottages
Historic districts
Historic buildings
Latitude, Longitude:
35.62, -82.54
External Resources:
Grove Park Inn - Resort History
UNC-Asheville Special Collections: Grove Park Inn
Grove Park Historic District