- Alterations to Residence for Mrs. Harman Miller - Montford Avenue--Front
Elevations (Building divisions)
- Original Format:
- 21 7/8 x 17 _
- Item identifier:
- Smith and Carrier more info on Smith and Carrier
- Created Date:
Design and construction documents
- Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism
- Asheville Art Museum
- Richard Sharp Smith Collection (aam_RS) held by Asheville Art Museum
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the Asheville Art Museum.
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- 171 Montford Avenue
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- The original house burned down circa late 1940s, and a new structure was built over its foundations, using the original stones. Montford Historic District retains more than 600 buildings, most of which were built between 1890 and 1920, and includes a variety of architectural influences reflecting the cosmopolitan character of Asheville during the turn of the 20th century. Victorian, Queen Anne and Arts and Crafts styles combined with Neoclassical, Colonial Revival and castle-like motifs, result in an overall complex quality of designs and artistic talent throughout the neighborhood. Asheville architect Richard Sharp Smith produced numerous residential homes in Montford.
- Provenance note:
- Mr. H.A. Miller was the treasurer and general manager of Carolina Coal and Ice Company.
- Architectural note:
- Smith's preference for pebbledash, shingles, high-pitched roofs and heavy stone foundations contributed to an overall form for the neighborhood. http://go.ncsu.edu/1906directory; http://go.ncsu.edu/montfordnews_pdf
Housing, Single family
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.601299, -82.563282