- Catholic Hill School - Basement
- Original Format:
- 13 1.4 x 20 7/8
- Item identifier:
- Smith and Carrier more info on Smith and Carrier
Design and construction documents
- Digital Project:
Beaux Arts to Modernism
- Asheville Art Museum
- Richard Sharp Smith Collection (aam_RS) held by Asheville Art Museum
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the Asheville Art Museum.
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Valley St. at the corner of Catholic Ave.
- North Carolina
- General note:
- Asheville's first public school for black children, Catholic Hill School opened in 1892. In 1917 the building was destroyed and seven fatalities resulted. Following the destruction of Catholic Hill School in 1917, classes were conducted in different places around the community as close to the site of the original structure as possible. The school was replaced in 1922 and was known as Stephens-Lee, the first black four-year high school in Asheville. Note - Modern maps of Asheville do not include a Catholic Avenue.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.6, -82.55
- External Resources:
Catholic Hill School Fire Article, 1917
Catholic Hill School Photograph and Information
Catholic Hill School Photograph
Western North Carolina Heritage Chronology