Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
The village previously existed as Best, or Asheville Junction, until George Vanderbilt bought the town and created a planned village for workers at his estate.
Many of the structures in the village have Tudoresque elements or follow Colonial Revival architectural styles.
The village included residential structures, All Souls Cathedral, the railroad depot, and estate offices, as well as a post office, hospital, and shops. The village was sold soon after Vanderbilt's death in 1914.