NCSU Libraries

View, St. James Church and Burgwin-Wright House, Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina

Burgwin-Wright House (Wilmington, N.C.)
St. James Episcopal Church (Wilmington, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
View, St. James Church and Burgwin-Wright House, Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Church buildings
Houses
Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
Extent:
8 x 10 inches
Item identifier:
SHPO049
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Photographs
Location:
Wilmington (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
Collection:
State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building: Burgwin-Wright House -- Cornwallis House (Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina)

Built:
Community:
Wilmington Historic District
State:
North Carolina
Provenance note:
John Burgwin (merchant and planter), first owner; Joshua G. Wright (judge), second owner
Architectural note:
The rear wing was added around 1845.
Historical note:
The home is located within the boundaries of the Wilmington Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Wilmington (N.C.)
Subjects:
Architecture, Georgian
Buildings -- Additions
Historic buildings
Historic districts
Houses
Housing, Single family
Wings (Building divisions)

Building: Saint James Episcopal Church (Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina)

Provenance note:
Episcopalian congregation established in 1729, first owner.
Architectural note:
Henry Dudley designed the truss roof of 1871 and the chancel and transept of 1885. Hobart Upjohn added the great hall in 1923.
Historical note:
The church is the state's first academic use of the Gothic Revival, which helped promote the style in the state. The building is the oldest church in Wilmington that is still in continual use. The church lies within the boundaries of the Wilmington Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The vaults date to the eighteenth century.
Location:
Wilmington (N.C.)
Subjects:
Architecture, Colonial
Buildings -- Additions
Cemeteries
Chancels
Church buildings
Episcopalians
Gothic revival (Architecture)
Grave markers
Graves
Historic buildings
Religious buildings
Roof trusses
Tombs
Transepts
Vaults (Tomb spaces)

Landscape: Wilmington Historic District (Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina)