- View, West Main Street Commercial District with Bank of Washington, Washington, Beaufort County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
- 5 x 7 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
West Main Street Commercial District
more info on West Main Street Commercial District (Washington, N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Benton and Benton, architects more info on Benton and Benton, architects
- Benton, Charles C., Sr., circa 1887-1960 more info on Benton, Charles C., Sr., circa 1887-1960
- Benton, Frank W., 1883-1960 more info on Benton, Frank W., 1883-1960
- 216 W. Main St.
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- The building survived two fires, one in 1864 and a second in 1900. The structure, considered the state's finest small Greek Revival commercial building, features a four-columned Ionic portico.
- Historical note:
- Lies within Washington's West Main Street Commercial District. The building is listed on the National Register as the West End Branch of the Bank of Washington.
Greek revival (Architecture)
Historic buildings -- Fires and fire prevention
National Register of Historic Places
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.543308, -77.058046