Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- View, St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church, New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 5 x 7 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
New Bern (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Simpson, Herbert W. (Herbert Woodley), 1870-1945 more info on Simpson, Herbert W. (Herbert Woodley), 1870-1945
- 604 Johnson Street
- New Bern
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church, founded by 1866, was one of the earliest if not the earliest African-American Episcopal congregations in the state. The congregation met in a frame building, formerly a Baptist church, on this site until 1910, when construction began on the imposing brick edifice designed by Simpson.
- Architectural note:
- The cornerstone reads, "St. Cyprian's Church, Built 1910, H. S. Simpson, architect."
New Bern (N.C.)
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.111185, -77.042741