NCSU Libraries

View, Main Building, Flora MacDonald College, Red Springs, Robeson County, North Carolina

Flora MacDonald College (Red Springs, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
View, Main Building, Flora MacDonald College, Red Springs, Robeson County, North Carolina
Topics:
Architecture
Subjects:
Universities and colleges
Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
Extent:
5 x 7 inches
Item identifier:
SHPO-N-95-5-944
Created Date:
Genre:
Architectural photographs
Photographs
Location:
Red Springs (N.C.)
Digital Project:
Built Heritage

Source information

Repository:
North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
Collection:
State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.

Building: MacDonald, Flora College -- Red Springs Seminary -- Flora MacDonald Academy (Red Springs, Robeson County, North Carolina)

Architect:
more info on Hook, Charles C. (Charles Christian), 1870-1938 
Built:
Street:
4744 Buie Philadelphus Rd
Community:
Red Springs
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
28372
Provenance note:
Fayetteville Presbytery founded the school as the Red Springs Seminary, and the school was renamed in 1915 for Flora MacDonald, a heroine of the 1770s from southeastern North Carolina.
Architectural note:
The Neo-Classical Revival style campus was built in stages and includes a turn of the century central rotunda with encircling balustrades and woodwork. The architects provided a more elaborate composition for the college's main building than was actually built.
Historical note:
The college closed in 1961, and is now the Flora MacDonald Academy. The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Robeson County (N.C.)
Red Springs (N.C.)
Subjects:
Balusters (Railing components)
Buildings -- Remodeling for other use
College campuses
Historic buildings
National Register of Historic Places
Novels
Revival, Classical (European revival style)
Rotundas (Interior spaces)
School buildings
Schools
Theological seminaries
Universities and colleges
Woodwork
Latitude, Longitude:
34.73661, -79.144739