Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- View, Temple of Israel, Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 7 x 5 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Walker, James, 1827-1901 more info on Walker, James, 1827-1901
- Sloan, Samuel, 1815-1884 more info on Sloan, Samuel, 1815-1884
- Strausz, Alex more info on Strausz, Alex
- Abbott Building Company more info on Abbott Building Company
- 1 S. 4th Street
- Wilmington Historic District
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Jewish congregation established in 1872.
- Historical note:
- The building's congregation is the oldest Jewish congregation in North Carolina. The temple lies within the boundaries of the Wilmington Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Architectural note:
- In contrast to Wilmington's Italianate architecture, the temple displays Moorish details. The design for the Temple Israel has been attributed to architect Alex Strausz, based on the report in the May 20, 1875 Wilmington Morning Star that the contract for the symmetrical structure "of the Moorish order of architecture" was given to the Cape Fear Building Company and was the "original design" of Alex Strausz, a partner in the company. However, there is evidence that the design may have its origins in Philadelphia, for on the 50th anniversary of the Temple, President Marcus Jacobi (whose father was founding president) said the design was obtained from Samuel Sloan of Philadelphia. James Sprung states in his Chronicles of the Cape Fear that the building was "according to plans drawn in Philadelphia and altered and amended by our townsman, James Walker."
- General note:
- Reference: Beverly Tetterton, Helen F. Solomon and JoAnn Fogler, History of the Temple of Israel, Wilmington, North Carolina, 1876 - 2001 (2001).
National Register of Historic Places
North Carolina -- History