- View, Matthewson House, Tarboro, Edgecombe County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
- 5 x 7 inches
- Item identifier:
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- This house was built by George Matthewson, a prominent black builder, as his own home.
- Architectural note:
- The elaborate latticework is an example of the type of decorative elements that once existed on many cottages in the region.
- Historical note:
- The Matthewson House was constructed in the late nineteenth century.
African Americans -- History
Decoration and ornament
Housing, Single family