View, First Baptist Church, Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina
First Baptist Church (Wilmington, N.C.)
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- View, First Baptist Church, Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
Building: First Baptist Church (Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina)
- Sloan, Samuel, 1815-1884 more info on Sloan, Samuel, 1815-1884
- Hutton, Addison, 1834-1916 more info on Hutton, Addison, 1834-1916
- 421 Market St.
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- The congregation purchased the lot for the new church in 1858 and sent the minister and a deacon to Richmond, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and other cities to see churches and consult architects. On April 18, 1859, the building committee recommended Sloan as architect to design a church in "Early English Gothic" with two towers, one high and one low. The minister of the First Baptist Church recorded the stages of the church's construction, such as: April 16, 1861, "Fort Sumter bombarded all night! .. . the windows on towers of our church raised to-day. So glad." July 30, 1861, "The doors and windows are being closed and the lumber piled" (quoted in Wrenn, Wilmington, 211-212). In 1996, the tall spire of First Baptist Church was toppled by Hurricane Fran, but it was rebuilt in 1998.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 34.235865, -77.944477