- View, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Edenton, Chowan County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- Black-and-white print (photograph); 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Nichols, W. C. more info on Nichols, W. C.
- Created Date:
- Created Date:
- Architectural Note: In 1769, John Hawks drew plans for a cupola atop the tower that was never built.
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Nichols, William, circa 1777-1853 more info on Nichols, William, circa 1777-1853
- Welcome, Joe, circa 1774-1859 more info on Welcome, Joe, circa 1774-1859
- Wills, Frank, 1822- more info on Wills, Frank, 1822-
- 100 W. Church Street
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- Episcopalian congregation descended from the first parish in North Carolina, which was established in 1701, first owner
- Architectural note:
- Begun in 1736, the church was constructed slowly and was not fully enclosed until 1760. William Nichols conducted the remodeling of the building in 1806 to 1809, functioning as both architect and carpenter. Frank Wills designed new chancel fittings in 1848. The building was renovated following a 1949 fire.
- Historical note:
- The structure is the second oldest church building in North Carolina and the state's only colonial church still in use. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The graves date to the eighteenth century.
Church buildings -- Fires and fire prevention
Buildings -- Repair and reconstruction
Decoration and ornament -- Federal style
National Register of Historic Places