Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- View, First Baptist Church, New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
New Bern (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Boney, Leslie N., 1880-1964 more info on Boney, Leslie N., 1880-1964
- Lane, Hardy B., Sr., 1793-1856 more info on Lane, Hardy B., Sr., 1793-1856
- T. Thomas and Son more info on T. Thomas and Son
- Hardy B. Lane and Sons more info on Hardy B. Lane and Sons
- 239 Middle St.
- New Bern
- North Carolina
- Architectural note:
- The Gothic Revival style church is complete with pinnacles and a central tower done in Flemish-bond brickwork. Leslie N. Boney designed a Sunday School addition for the church.
- Historical note:
- This is the state's first Gothic Revival style church that was not constructed for an Episcopal congregation. Tradition holds that church members journeyed to New York to receive the architectural designs directly from Thomas and Sons who specialized in Baptist church plans. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
New Bern (N.C.)
National Register of Historic Places
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.105774, -77.040279
- External Resources:
First Baptist Church of New Bern: History