- View, Hayes, Edenton, Chowan County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- Black-and-white print (photograph)
- 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Hayes House (N.C.)
- Digital Project:
- North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) held by North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. For general information see their website (http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- Nichols, William, circa 1777-1853 more info on Nichols, William, circa 1777-1853
- Badham Family, carpenters more info on Badham Family, carpenters
- Dickinson, Dave, plasterer more info on Dickinson, Dave, plasterer
- Welcome, Joe, circa 1774-1859 more info on Welcome, Joe, circa 1774-1859
- 1038 Hayes Farm Road
- North Carolina
- Provenance note:
- James C. Johnston (planter), first owner; Edward Wood, second owner
- Architectural note:
- The building is considered one of the state's most important plantation houses of the Federal period. The exterior blends a Palladian form with Adamesque and Greek Revival features to create a unique composition. The interior uses early Greek Revival motifs as well as Gothic Revival details. Architect Nichols also functioned as the carpenter on the project.
- Historical note:
- The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and as a National Historical Landmark.
Housing, Single family
Gothic revival (Architecture)
Greek revival (Architecture)
National Register of Historic Places
National Historic Landmarks
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 36.053233, -76.602446
- External Resources:
National Historic Landmarks Program: Hayes Plantation