Yates Mill in disrepair

Yates Mill (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
Contact us

Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.

Item information

Title:
Yates Mill in disrepair
Topics:
Campus and Town
Subjects:
Mills and mill-work
Original Format:
Color photograph
Item identifier:
0228147
Created Date:
Description:
Yates Mill was built in 1756 and operated as a commercial corn mill until 1953. Today it operates as a Wake County historic park, where corn grinding is done a few days a month for the public.
Location:
Raleigh (N.C.)
Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs

Building: Yates Mill (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)

Built:
Street:
4640 Lake Wheeler Road
Community:
Raleigh
State:
NC
Zip:
27603
Provenance note:
Samuel Pearson, was the first owner; Simon Pearson, was the second owner; William Boylan, businessman, director of State Bank and newspaper publisher was the third owner.
Historical note:
The site first began operating as a flour mill in 1761. The mill is the only survivor of several eighteenth century mills around Raleigh, and has been restored. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Raleigh (N.C.)
Subjects:
Flour mills
Historic sites
Mills and mill-work
National Register of Historic Places
Latitude, Longitude:
35.718516, -78.686272