NCSU Libraries

Yates Mill in disrepair

Yates Mill Log Cabin (Raleigh, N.C.)
Yates Mill (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
Yates Mill in disrepair
Subjects:
Mills and mill-work
Original Format:
Color photographs
Item identifier:
0228139
Created Date:
Description:
Yates Mill was built in 1756 and operated as a commercial corn mill until 1953. Today it operates as a Wake County historic park, where corn grinding is done a few days a month for the public.
Genre:
Photographs
Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs

Building: Yates Mill Log Cabin (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)

Delineator:
more info on Riley, Lewis C. 
Built:
Street:
4640 Lake Wheeler Road
Community:
Raleigh
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
27603
Historical note:
The delineator noted that the cabin was built by North Carolina State University design school students, constructed on the location of Yates Mill.
Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Subjects:
Cabins (Houses)
Design -- Study and teaching (Higher)
Flour mills
Log cabins
Mills and mill-work
Student projects
Latitude, Longitude:
35.718516, -78.686272

Building: Yates Mill (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)

Built:
Street:
4640 Lake Wheeler Road
Community:
Raleigh
State:
NC
Zip:
27603
Provenance note:
Samuel Pearson, was the first owner; Simon Pearson, was the second owner; William Boylan, businessman, director of State Bank and newspaper publisher was the third owner.
Historical note:
The site first began operating as a flour mill in 1761. The mill is the only survivor of several eighteenth century mills around Raleigh, and has been restored. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Subjects:
Flour mills
Historic sites
Mills and mill-work
National Register of Historic Places
Latitude, Longitude:
35.718516, -78.686272