Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- 1989 Graduation Valedictorians
- On the back of the photograph: "Seven students with perfect 4.0 grade point averages shared valedictory honors at NCSU's 100th Commencement May 6, 1989 at Reynolds Coliseum. Left to Right are valedictorians C. Allen Morse of Asheville and Leigh Anne Young of Raleigh, Chancellor Bruce R. Poulton, and Valedictorians Amy K. Stout of Sanford, Leslie G. Wehe of Raleigh, and Jeffrey G. Crater of Tryon. Not available for the photograph were valedictorians Kelly L. Berkstresser of Raleigh and Laura J. Kerrigan of Randolph. Gov. James G. Martin presented the commencement address. The event brought the total number of degrees awarded at NCSU since it's founding in in 1887 to 101,096."
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
Poulton, Bruce R. (Bruce Robert)
more info on Poulton, Bruce R. (Bruce Robert)
North Carolina State University -- Administration more info on North Carolina State University -- Administration
North Carolina State University -- Students more info on North Carolina State University -- Students
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- University Archives Photograph Collection. Student Life Photographs, 1893-1997 (UA023.025) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
Building: North Carolina State University, William Neal Reynolds Coliseum (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Architect, revisions:
- Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992 more info on Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992
- Shumaker, Ross Edward, 1889-1960 more info on Shumaker, Ross Edward, 1889-1960
- 2701 Sullivan Drive
- NC State University
- General note:
- Completed in 1949, the building with seating for 14,000 people is named after William Neal Reynolds, president of the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company founded by his brother. Construction of Reynolds Coliseum was originally proposed by David Clark after 5,000 people from all over North Carolina were rained out of a Farmers' Week meeting in 1940. The coliseum was home to the basketball team for nearly 50 years, including two NCAA champion teams. Reynolds Coliseum also provides a venue for large university and city events. Today it houses several NC State athletic teams, as well as NC State's ROTC units. The men’s basketball team moved to the RBC Center in 2000.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.783501, -78.669899