- Gymnasium North Carolina State College
- Original Format:
- Illustration; 3 x 5 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Created Date:
- Illustrated Postcard| Transcribed from Postcard: "Erected 1924. Cost $225,000. Contains main gymnasium 110x130 feet, auxiliary gymnasium. Locker rooms equipped with more than 1,000 steel lockers, band practice room, and armory, offices for the Physical Education and Coaching Staffs, and a tiled swimming Pool."| Derived from Postcard: Postcard addressed to Miss Mary Vivian Haines
North Carolina State University -- Buildings
more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
North Carolina State College more info on North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Postcards, 1900-1996 (UA023.035) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright and permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Building: North Carolina State University, Frank Thompson Theatre -- Thompson Gymnasium (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Jenson Dr.
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- In 1963 after renovations, the Thompson Gymnasium emerged as the Thompson Theater. Originally, the gymnasium was intended to establish a routine physical fitness schedule for students, since military drills were no longer required after World War I. Thompson Gymnasium became the first indoor athletic facility complete with two gyms, an indoor swimming pool, and an elevated indoor track. It also became the center for intercollegiate games. However, when Reynolds Coliseum took over the role of basketball facility, it left the classic building, with its urns and other ornamental architecture, open for the dramatic arts.
Universities and colleges
State universities and colleges -- North Carolina
College buildings -- North Carolina
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.7827, -78.666901