NCSU Libraries

The velvet carpet loom has been installed in the School of Textiles at North Carolina State College and will enable the school to strengthen its instructional program in weaving, July 1951.

Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
The velvet carpet loom has been installed in the School of Textiles at North Carolina State College and will enable the school to strengthen its instructional program in weaving, July 1951.
Topics:
Community and Extension
Subjects:
Teachers
Textile machinery
Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
Extent:
8 x 10 inches
Item identifier:
0008349
Photographer:
Mattox, John more info on Mattox, John 
Contributor:
North Carolina State College. Visual Aids Department more info on North Carolina State College. Visual Aids Department 
Created Date:
Description:
Title continues: The complex loom is said to be the first such machine to be owned by any college or university in the United States. Inspecting the loom following its installation are professor Benjamin L. Whittier, left, head of the Department of Fabric Development and Construction in the State College School of Textiles, and Samuel Green of Thomsonville, Connecticut, weave room supervisor of the Bigelow-Sanford Carpet Company, Inc. donor of the loom.
Genre:
Action photographs
Photographs
Names:
North Carolina State University. College of Textiles more info on North Carolina State University. College of Textiles 
North Carolina State University -- Equipment and supplies more info on North Carolina State University -- Equipment and supplies 
Location:
Raleigh (N.C.)
Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
Green 'N' Growing

Source information

Repository:
Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Collection:
College of Textiles. Equipment and machinery (UA023.017.024) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
Note field:
Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
Rights:
For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Funding:
Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.