Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Carmichael Gymnasium
Campus and Town
- Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
- 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
North Carolina State University -- Buildings
more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Campus facilities and views (UA023.005) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Building: North Carolina State University, William Donald Carmichael Gymnasium (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- 2611 Cates Avenue
- NC State University
- General note:
- Carmichael Gymnasium offers an outdoor and indoor track, swimming pools, basketball courts, racquetball courts, and areas for wrestling, boxing, weight lifting and gymnastics. In 1940, William Donald Carmichael (1900-1961) became Vice President and Financial Officer for the three-college, Consolidated University system of the time. After serving in the Air Corps during World War I, Carmichael earned his degree in business administration at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. There, he was active in athletics and had been captain of the basketball team. He became an advertising executive and stock broker in New York before returning to North Carolina. During his administration, Carmichael supported funding for the completion of the gymnasium, Reynolds Coliseum, a state educational TV system, Burlington Laboratories' nuclear reactor, and the William Neal Reynolds Professorships. One of his characteristic words was "imagineering."
College buildings -- North Carolina
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.783298, -78.672401