Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Polk Hall, with the fountain in the foreground
Campus and Town
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- circa to
- Polk Hall is named for Leonidas LaFayette Polk (1837-1892). He founded the Progressive Farmer magazine and pushed for a Land-Grant college to be established in North Carolina under the federal Morrill Act of 1862. Polk’s wish for a Land-Grant college was supported by the Watauga Club and what is now North Carolina State University was founded. Polk also served as president of the Farmer’s Alliance, a national organization which later became known as the People’s Party. Polk Hall was constructed in 1926.
North Carolina State University -- Buildings
more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
North Carolina State College more info on North Carolina State College
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- University Archives Photograph Collection. Campus facilities and views (UA023.005) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)