NCSU Libraries

View of Reynolds Coliseum with construction almost complete, October 10, 1949.

Reynolds Coliseum, NCSU (Raleigh, N.C.)
Normal spinner 196px

Item information

Title:
View of Reynolds Coliseum with construction almost complete, October 10, 1949.
Topics:
Campus and Town
Subjects:
Construction (Assembling)
Sports facilities
Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
Extent:
8 x 10 inches
Item identifier:
0004580
Created Date:
Genre:
Progress photographs
Photographs
Names:
North Carolina State University -- Buildings more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings 
Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs

Building: North Carolina State University, William Neal Reynolds Coliseum (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)

Architect:
more info on Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992 
Street:
2701 Sullivan Drive
Community:
Raleigh
State:
North Carolina
Zip:
27606
General note:
Completed in 1949, the building with seating for 14,000 people is named after William Neal Reynolds, president of the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company founded by his brother. Construction of Reynolds Coliseum was originally proposed by David Clark after 5,000 people from all over North Carolina were rained out of a Farmers' Week meeting in 1940. The coliseum was home to the basketball team for nearly 50 years, including two NCAA champion teams. Reynolds Coliseum also provides a venue for large university and city events. Today it houses several NC State athletic teams, as well as NC State's ROTC units. The men’s basketball team moved to the RBC Center in 2000.
Location:
Raleigh (N.C)
Subjects:
Sports facilities
Latitude, Longitude:
35.783501, -78.669899