Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Front view of Thompson Theater, North Carolina State University, showing "Open House" banner hanging above entrance.
Campus and Town
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Griffiths, Simon, 1960- more info on Griffiths, Simon, 1960-
- North Carolina State University. Publications Authority more info on North Carolina State University. Publications Authority
- Created Date:
North Carolina State University -- Buildings
more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- University Archives Photograph Collection. Campus facilities and views (UA023.005) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
Building: North Carolina State University, Frank Thompson Theatre -- Thompson Gymnasium (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Jenson Dr.
- NC State University
- Historical note:
- In 1963 after renovations, the Thompson Gymnasium emerged as the Thompson Theater. Originally, the gymnasium was intended to establish a routine physical fitness schedule for students, since military drills were no longer required after World War I. Thompson Gymnasium became the first indoor athletic facility complete with two gyms, an indoor swimming pool, and an elevated indoor track. It also became the center for intercollegiate games. However, when Reynolds Coliseum took over the role of basketball facility, it left the classic building, with its urns and other ornamental architecture, open for the dramatic arts.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.7827, -78.666901