- Men outside closed Thompson Gymnasium for a game cancelled due to overcrowding concerns
Campus and Town
- Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
- 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- These men came to see the Duke-North Carolina State College game that was cancelled, January 17, 1948. Afraid of the potential fire hazard caused by overcrowding, Raleigh city officials condemned Thompson Gymnasium before a scheduled basketball game between North Carolina State and Duke. Only one more basketball game was played in Thompson before Reynolds Coliseum opened; the gymnasium became Thompson Theater in 1963.
North Carolina State University -- Basketball
more info on North Carolina State University -- Basketball
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Thompson Gymnasium and Thompson Theater (UA023.005.092) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright and permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Building: North Carolina State University, Frank Thompson Theatre -- Thompson Gymnasium (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Jenson Dr.
- North Carolina
- Historical note:
- In 1963 after renovations, the Thompson Gymnasium emerged as the Thompson Theater. Originally, the gymnasium was intended to establish a routine physical fitness schedule for students, since military drills were no longer required after World War I. Thompson Gymnasium became the first indoor athletic facility complete with two gyms, an indoor swimming pool, and an elevated indoor track. It also became the center for intercollegiate games. However, when Reynolds Coliseum took over the role of basketball facility, it left the classic building, with its urns and other ornamental architecture, open for the dramatic arts.
College buildings -- North Carolina
State universities and colleges -- North Carolina
Universities and colleges
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.7827, -78.666901