- View from D. H. Hill Library of courtyard
Campus and Town
Quadrangles (Open spaces)
- Original Format:
- Black-and-white print (photograph); 8 x 10 inches
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- View from D. H. Hill Library of courtyard bordered by Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union, Gardner Hall, and Williams Hall, North Carolina State College. The courtyard behind D. H. Hill Library and Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union became the site for landscape architect Richard C. Bell's University Plaza (the Brickyard) in 1968.
North Carolina State University -- Buildings
more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Facilities, T-Z (UA023.005.090) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright and permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).
Building: North Carolina State University, Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Nowicki, Matthew (Maciej), 1915-1950 more info on Nowicki, Matthew (Maciej), 1915-1950
- Deitrick, William Henley, 1895-1974 more info on Deitrick, William Henley, 1895-1974
- Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992 more info on Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992
- 4700 Hillsborough Street
Building: North Carolina State University, O. Max Gardner Hall (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Provenance note:
- Gardner Hall opened when NC State began to recognize Biology as a highly significant teaching and research discipline. Since then, the building has been expanded to match the rapidly increased numbers of students and faculty that have joined the interdisciplinary program. The building is named after O. Max Gardner (1882-1947), provider of the prestigious award by that name which is granted for "outstanding service to mankind." At only 16, Gardner had fought in the Spanish-American War. During his undergraduate years at NC State, Gardner was active in campus politics. After graduating, he was elected to State Senate, to speaker pro tem, to lieutenant governor, and finally to governor. He served as Undersecretary to U.S. Treasury for President Roosevelt, and as an unofficial advisor, offered many of the ideas for the Fireside Chats. Gardner died shortly before his appointment began for "loafing around the throne," as he called it, as ambassador to England. He had received an honorary doctorate of law from NC State in 1932.
- Historical note:
- The nearly 100,000 gross square foot South Gardner Hall addition was added in 1964. The addition underwent a comprehensive renovation in 2009. The addition was then named (effective 11/19/2009) in honor of Joab Langston Thomas, who served as chancellor for NC State University from 1975 to 1981.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.7869, -78.672401
Building: North Carolina State University, D. H. Hill Library (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.) more info on Northup & O'Brien (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- 4700 Hillsborough Street
- North Carolina