Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Reynolds Coliseum, view from the parking lot
Campus and Town
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- circa to
- On the back of the photograph: "N.C. State College News Service For Pete Ivey / Rudolph Pate, Director / Center of many sports, cultural, and theatrical events is the 12,400 seat William Neal Reynolds Coliseum at North Carolina State College." William Neal Reynolds (1863-1951) Coliseum is named after a top executive and major shareholder in the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in Winston-Salem, N.C., who donated money to the University to supplement professors’ salaries. Reynolds niece, Mary donated $100,000 for the completion of the coliseum. William Reynolds was one of R.J. Reynolds’s younger brothers. The idea for the coliseum, which replaced Thompson Theatre as the home of the NC State men’s basketball team, supposedly came from David Clark. The coliseum was built in 1949. The coliseum was home to the basketball team for nearly 50 years, including two NCAA champion teams. Reynolds Coliseum also provided a venue for large university and city events. Today it houses several NC State athletic teams, as well as NC State’s ROTC units. The men’s basketball team moved to the RBC Center in 2000.
North Carolina State University -- Buildings
more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
North Carolina State College more info on North Carolina State College
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- University Archives Photograph Collection. Campus facilities and views (UA023.005) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
Building: North Carolina State University, William Neal Reynolds Coliseum (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992 more info on Small, G. Milton (George Milton), Jr., 1916-1992
- 2701 Sullivan Drive
- NC State University
- General note:
- Completed in 1949, the building with seating for 14,000 people is named after William Neal Reynolds, president of the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company founded by his brother. Construction of Reynolds Coliseum was originally proposed by David Clark after 5,000 people from all over North Carolina were rained out of a Farmers' Week meeting in 1940. The coliseum was home to the basketball team for nearly 50 years, including two NCAA champion teams. Reynolds Coliseum also provides a venue for large university and city events. Today it houses several NC State athletic teams, as well as NC State's ROTC units. The men’s basketball team moved to the RBC Center in 2000.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.783501, -78.669899