Aerial view of Carter-Finley Stadium during early stages of construction
Carter-Finley Stadium, NC State University (Raleigh, N.C.)
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we're addressing it.
- Aerial view of Carter-Finley Stadium during early stages of construction
- Carter-Finley stadium was built in 1966 and is named for Wilbert James (Nick) Carter (1902-1972), Harry Clifton Carter (1908-1990) and Albert Earle Finley (1895-1985). The Carter brothers both graduated from the College of Textiles, becoming executives at Burlington Mills and then starting their own textile company in 1937, Carter Fabrics, in Greensboro, N.C. In 1946 their company merged with the J. P. Stevens Company, where the Carter brothers became top executives. The Carters provided several hundred thousand dollars towards the construction costs of the stadium. Albert Earle Finley formed his own company in Raleigh, the North Carolina Equipment Company, in the 1930s. He was an avid supporter of Wolfpack Athletics through the Wolfpack Club. The stadium has a current seating capacity of 53,570.
Campus and Town
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Mills, Ralph more info on Mills, Ralph
- Created Date:
- circa to
North Carolina State University
more info on North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University -- Sports more info on North Carolina State University -- Sports
North Carolina State University -- Facilities more info on North Carolina State University -- Facilities
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- University Archives Photograph Collection. Campus facilities and views (UA023.005) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about)
Building: North Carolina State University, Carter-Finley Stadium (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina)
- State Route 3036
- NC State University
- Historical note:
- The stadium honors Wilbert James (Nick) Carter (1902-1972) , Harry Clifton Carter (1908-1990), and Albert Earle Finley (1895-1985). The two Carter brothers graduated from NC State from the school of Textiles and became top executives in the J. P. Stevens Company. They contributed several hundred thousand dollars to fundraising for completion of the stadium. In 1937, the Carter brothers formed their own company, Carter Fabrics of Greensboro, and merged with the J.P. Stevens Corporation. The family was particularly involved with support of the NC State school of textiles. NC State awarded an honorary Doctor of Textile Science degree to Nick Carter in 1943. Finley was also a strong supporter of the athletics program at NC State. After two years of business school in Virginia, he became a stenographer for the Baltimore, Chesapeake, and Atlantic Railroad Company, rapidly working his way to a position of secretary to the general manager. Finley, a former US Army 2nd Lieutenant, soon became involved in the sale of heavy construction equipment and eventually started his own business, the Raleigh Tractor and Equipment Company. Finley kept an active interest in supporting the college, and even donated a motel on Western Boulevard to the Wolfpack Club as an athletics dormitory.
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.800804, -78.719482