Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- Burlington Engineering Labs, nuclear reactor
Campus and Town
Universities and colleges
- Original Format:
Black-and-white print (photograph)
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- On the back of the photograph: "The Pulstar nuclear reactor, built in 1971 as the central feature of the new main section of the Burlington Engineering Laboratories, was the fourth generation of nuclear reactors at State. The nation's first bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs in nuclear engineering had been established in 1951 under the leadership of Dean Lampe and Clifford K. Beck, member of the Manhattan Project at Oak Ridge and new head of the Physics Department at State. Two years later, with financial help from Burlington Industries and support from the Atomic Energy Commission, the college constructed a 500-watt homogeneous nuclear reactor, contained in an octagonal concrete shield within the small Burlington Nuclear Lab. This "Raleigh Reactor" was the first nuclear pile in the nation to be used entirely for teaching and research, the first to be operated on any college campus as a non-Atomic Energy Commission reactor, and the first to be open for public inspection."
North Carolina State University
more info on North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University -- Buildings more info on North Carolina State University -- Buildings
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Campus facilities and views (UA023.005) held by Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright or permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).