Please note that some historical materials may contain offensive content.
- W. C. Riddick with surveying instrument he had used in the late 1830s to survey the right-of-way for the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad
Surveying -- Instruments
- Original Format:
Black and white print (photograph)
- 10 x 8 in.
- Item identifier:
- Created Date:
- Wallace Carl Riddick, 1940. President, North Carolina State College, 1916-1923. First Dean of the School of Engineering, 1923-1937. This surveying instrument was formerly the property of the late professor Luther Rice Mills of Wake Forest College and was used in surveying the right-of-way for the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad. Dr. W. C. Riddick, former president of NC State College (father of the Engineering Profession in North Carolina), took his first surveying lesson on this instrument in 1883 and later used the instrument on his first land surveying job for which he was paid $2.50. This instrument was presented to State College by L. R. Mills, II of Scotland Neck and J. G. Mills of Wake Forest, sons of Professor Mills.
Riddick, W. C. (Wallace Carl), 1864-1942
more info on Riddick, W. C. (Wallace Carl), 1864-1942
North Carolina State University -- Administration more info on North Carolina State University -- Administration
North Carolina State College. School of Engineering more info on North Carolina State College. School of Engineering
- Digital Project:
University Archives Photographs
- Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- University Archives Photograph Collection. People (UA023.024) held by Special Collections Research Center at NC State University Libraries
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- For questions regarding copyright and permissions, please refer to our Reproduction, Use, Citation, and Copyright page (http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/about).