Back to main resource This is a single page from a multipage resource.
- Interior view with stairs, YMI Building, Asheville, Buncombe County, North Carolina
- Original Format:
- Color slides; 2 x 2 in.
- Item identifier:
- Smith, Richard Sharp more info on Smith, Richard Sharp
- Created Date:
- Created Date:
- Provenance: The center was established by George Vanderbilt for the African American residents of Asheville, many of whom who had worked on Biltmore. | Architectural Note: Architect Richard Sharp Smith used an "English cottage" form in pebble dash and red brick. | Historical Note: The building was utilized as a social and educational center by the African American community in the segregated South and later became the Market Street YMCA. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Digital Project:
- Preservation North Carolina
- Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) held by Preservation North Carolina
- Note field:
- Not all materials from the physical collection may have been scanned. Images may have been enhanced for web access.
- Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from Preservation North Carolina. For general information see the Preservation North Carolina website (http://www.presnc.org).
- Digitization of this image was partially supported with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
- South Market and Eagle Streets
- North Carolina
- General note:
- Historical note: The center was established by George Vanderbilt for the black residents of Asheville who had worked on Biltmore. The building was utilized as a social and educational center by the African American community in the segregated South. The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Buncombe County (N.C.)
- Latitude, Longitude:
- 35.59403, -82.550199