The stadium honors Wilbert James (Nick) Carter (1902-1972) , Harry Clifton Carter (1908-1990), and Albert Earle Finley (1895-1985). The two Carter brothers graduated from NC State from the school of Textiles and became top executives in the J. P. Stevens Company. They contributed several hundred thousand dollars to fundraising for completion of the stadium. In 1937, the Carter brothers formed their own company, Carter Fabrics of Greensboro, and merged with the J.P. Stevens Corporation. The family was particularly involved with support of the NC State school of textiles. NC State awarded an honorary Doctor of Textile Science degree to Nick Carter in 1943.
Finley was also a strong supporter of the athletics program at NC State. After two years of business school in Virginia, he became a stenographer for the Baltimore, Chesapeake, and Atlantic Railroad Company, rapidly working his way to a position of secretary to the general manager. Finley, a former US Army 2nd Lieutenant, soon became involved in the sale of heavy construction equipment and eventually started his own business, the Raleigh Tractor and Equipment Company. Finley kept an active interest in supporting the college, and even donated a motel on Western Boulevard to the Wolfpack Club as an athletics dormitory.